It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:37 am 
Site CyberBiker
AgentOrange wrote:
She's loveley, except for her engine. It's quite long, 3 times longer then the standard ringliner in fact. Looks like 3 enignes stacked on top of eachother. But I understand it would be a somewhat anoying little task to edit it out between the rings.

Quite true. I'm sure it'd be a simple matter for someone who works with PhotoShop or other similar programs on a regular basis, but for a hack like me who makes do with the software that came with my digital camera... well, that's about as good as it gets.

:D

I'm glad you like it, and I share your observation about the engine section. If someone with more art skills than I have cares to work on it - go ahead!

Meanwhile, thanks for reading Libra, and thanks for the feedback!

R/L

Post subject: Re: Civilian Ships
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site CyberBiker

Since we are discussing mothballing the Demeter by docking it to the Harvest Moon, I thought I'd do a size estimate on the freighter. I could not find any size information already posted on BattlestarCentral.

Starting from an assumption that the rib you can see running the length of the ship (dorsal, center) is a passageway sized to accommodate a 6' human, I have arrived at the following measurements.

Overall length: 210 meters (689 feet)
Overall width: 160 meters (525 feet)
Overall depth: 40 meters (131 feet)

Considering that the Demeter has two shuttles, and is capable of docking them internally, these numbers seem appropriate. Also, the Demeter was the fleet's farm before the Harvest Moon was salvaged, so I wondered about the size of her cargo modules. Using the same estimating procedure, here's what I got:

Cargo module: 60x70x25 meters (105,000 cubic meters volume each)

With those numbers, I think each module could have two levels (for a total of 8 across the four modules), each of which would be roughly 197 feet by 230 feet. That's a fair amount of 'barn' space.

Comparing all this to the HM blueprint, which has measurements included, it appears to me that the Demeter would just fit if we parked it under the 'mushroom head' of the station. Trafford's boys could make a few mods (like cutting away whatever that is on the freighter, dorsal, amidships) and then weld her to the underside of the Harvest Moon.

Opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Gunslinger
Sounds good to me, Ranger! I think Brad Carnes will appreciate having more acreage for crops... and so will the fleet, as one of his crops is fast-maturing coffee plants!

Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper, about budget cuts for the US’s intelligence agencies: "We're not going to do more with less and all these other clichés. . . . We will just simply have less capability."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Raider
GoldWolf wrote:
Sounds good to me, Ranger! I think Brad Carnes will appreciate having more acreage for crops... and so will the fleet, as one of his crops is fast-maturing coffee plants!

At least GW has her priorities straight :rofl: