It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Episode 18: Martial Law
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:36 am 
Site Boss
Episode 18: Martial Law

The leak of information regarding the biological cylons had been the icing on the cake for many people in the fleet tired of running from their enemy.

Commander Rodrigues imposes Martial Law and disbands the current government in order to get the fleet under control and preventing it from tearing itself apart.

The fate of the human race rests with the decisions made by Rodrigues and the leaders of the fleet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm 
Coy and Heather Anderson and Robert Fillard.
Studio aboard the Palatine
Day 84 Time ????

Heather, Coy, and Robert stood by and watched the live feed from the Libra come thru. “Oh my Gods!” Robert exclaimed. “He is really doing it…He is putting the fleet under martial law. Coy and Heather please make sure this is put into the rotation to play every fifteen minutes.”

“No problem.” Heather replied. She quickly cut and edited the vid and dropped it into the rotation. She hit a few more buttons and up on channel two the vid repeated itself, with the commander declaring martial law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Canon Cop
Quote:
“Effective immediately I am assuming direct control of this fleet and am instating Martial Law fleet wide. Shuttle traffic between ships is hereby restricted to approved flights only. The ships’ security will be supplemented by Colonial Marines. We will have a heavy viper and raptor presence in this fleet until further notice.”

“Effective immediately all civilian authority, with exception of ships captains and security forces, is suspended. The CBI and Miss Liala’s Secret Service are now disbanded. They will hold no authority. All issues involving security will be approved through military channels.”

“The delegation may continue but will now be overseen by uniformed and armed marines. Their protection is of the utmost importance. This means the Palatine is now off limits to any traffic unless screened by military units.”

“And last but not least. Miss Liala is now relieved of her duties as acting president. All of the above announcements are rescinded once control is turned back over to the civilian government.”

The silence was deafening. Not a person spoke. Not a body part moved.

“I did not want this you must believe me. Unfortunately I have been left with no choice and for that I am sorry.”

Rodrigues fielded no questions. Instead he turned and exited the ready room, with the marine guards following closely behind.

2211, Day 84
Libra Ready Room

They were stunned. The Commander had entered, made his statement and left.

Captain Gibbs wasn't sure if he should go speak or not. He wasn't sure about anything.. except that the press had to be told something more.

He walked up to the podium; his head held high, to mask his own uncertainty.

"Ladies and gentlemen. For those who do not recognize me; I am Donald Gibbs, captain of the liner Astral Dawn. I'm here, as you are, at the behest of Mrs. Psyche Kalrk."

"Commander Rodrigues' statement, was not foreseeen by any of the ships' captains. As you know, we met only one hour ago aboard Harvest Moon. One of our topics of dicussion was the military and their knowedge of these biological cylons before today's startling broadcast by the alleged cylon Uriel."

"We captains agreed that the military were well within their authority to keep such knowledge from the public at large, in order to prevent a riot, or some upheaval. As the Commander has rightly said, there has been panic throughout the fleet today."

"We captains understand, as all of you should, that what the military knows of these 'cylon agents' should not be fully disclosed. We don't want them to know everything that we know about them. One of the concerns raised in the captains' meeting is that we ships captains think it prudent that we know what is happening on our individual ships, so that we can coordinate with, and be fully supporting the military in their investigations on our individual ships. Speaking for myself, I have full confidence in Commander Rodrigues, and that he will be in consultation with the ships' captains as needed."

"What I urge all in the fleet to do.. is to calm down. Don't turn on one another. Let the military, and the ships captains and security, do what must be done for the safety and well being of our ships, of our fleet."

"Another topic raised at the captains' meeting, is of course Captain Kalrk and his arrest today aboard Palatine. We ships' captains are greatly concerned with the chain of events described to us by Mrs. Kalrk. In light of the Commander's announcement on the disbanding of that Secret Service,.. let's just... take it easy, and get an update in the morning. Please do not spread ...possibilities. Let us all just take a deep breath, say our prayers, comfort one another.. whatever... just settle down, and await an update tomorrow. Thank you."

Gibbs nodded at Captain Inga Mueler, and they left the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:49 pm 
Site Canon Cop
2217, Day 84
Libra, Kalrk's guest quarters

Kalrk and Psy held each other as they laid in the bed, listening to the press conference on the wireless.

"It's a mess." Kalrk said to his wife. "I wish you hadn't ...." he stopped himself.

He wanted to tell her she shouldn't have gone to the press; she shouldn't have involved the other captains, she should have listened to him and gone straight to Rodrigues.. or maybe to Captain Remus. But to tell her that would make her withdraw as she always did. He could imagine that even now she was biting her lower lip, as her head rested on his chest.

"Sorry, Psy." he finished. "Rodrigues will fix this."

She let out an audible sigh. "I had to get you away from that bastard Masters..."

"It's okay." was all he could say.

What next Rodrigues? And I wonder how Liala is taking the news that she's been fired. I wonder how the fleet is taking that news..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 pm 
Site Spook
Slowly, as Gibbs exited, she made her way to the front, until she stood before them....all the eyes. And all the cameras.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press....people of the fleet. I wish to make it clear to the fleet that, given the circumstances, I am in full support of Commander Rodrigues' decision. However, I feel I must clarify one point. The commander has not, in fact, fired me from my position as "Acting President". The fact is, he has no athourity to do so."

A murmur ran through the assembled reporters, perhaps expecting an uncoming clash of the titans...

"....the reason why he has no athourity to do so, however, ladies and gentlemen, is that no one can remove someone from a position that was not their position in the first place--a fact I have tried to make clear to the fleet since Day 1....with little success. I was never 'Acting President'--and the fact that you had placed me there in your minds does little to alter the reality of the situation--or the relality of my repeated reminders these last few months that I was not."

"Miss Liala--What about the disbanded agencies??? Are you really going ot let him get away with--"

She faced the reporter who had spoken, head on.

"The agencies in question were only recreated--or in the case of the CBI, continued--in response to demands from the fleet population. The fact is, as many of you may not remember--I tried to tell people from Day 1 that the government was gone. You cannot have a government without a leader--and I was never legally your leader, no matter how much you attempted to place me in the post. A President must be elected--or must, alternativly, secure their position in a legal manner through the order of succession. As for the agencies--with no government, executive or legislative, they were created, I stated, only because no one heeded my announcements that they were no more--and no one heeded my announcements that I could not create new official bodies. Therefore....while such may have occured, in response to the flat out demands of the fleet....in reality, they were never any more real, than I was ever really your political leader."

"I will repeat now, what I have been saying since the attacks: The President is dead. The Cabinet is dead. The head of every agency on the Colonies....is dead. The government is gone. It is up to you, ladies and gentlemen, to recreate a system for the new world. You elected your delegates, to the convention--a convention which, you may note, I have been very careful to not influence in any way. Now, I suggest that the delegates elect their own presiding official--and continue their work. I urge everyone to note that Commander Rodrigues ended his speech by saying that all his above orders were to be rescinded once a civilian government is in place. The only way you will ever have a civilian government, ladies and gentlemen, is if you create it. I urge the delegates to redouble their efforts, and band together to create a new system for the fleet--for what may very well be the last of humanity."

"And in the meantime, while that work continues, I urge you all to remain calm. The fact is, the Commander's actions have been both wise and neccesary, and will serve to protect this fleet, until such time as a government is in place. Until then--I wish to echo his statements, earlier: The Cylon threat is not a matter to take into your own hands. If you suspect that someone you know is a biolon, do not, under any circumstances, attempt to take matters into your own hands. Report it to the proper athourtities aboard Libra. The chaos and violence in the fleet has to stop, and it has to stop now. We are the last of humanity, ladies and gentlemen. Remember that fact. Remember that paranoia and rash actions only serve to diminish that which remains. The military will see to the security of the fleet. The delegates will see to the creation of a new government. And as for the rest of you, ladies and gentlemen, listening to this boardcast....See to the future. Consider any actions carefully, in the context of the future....Not only your own future, but that of the human race. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen."

She stepped down, and made her way quickly towards the door, despite the clamoring of the press.

With any luck, Rodrigues' announcement would finally get it through their thick skulls what she had tried unsuccessfully to get through to them for the last three months--She was not, and never had been, the President, 'Acting' or not.

As for herself....she couldn't help feel anger inside, at Rodrigues. Not because of what he had done--for she agreeded with it all. But because of the fact that he had NOT done it earlier.

She had begged him to leadership of the fleet, that first week, that first month. He had repeatedly refused her, and made in clear (if indirectly so) that he expected her to handle it.

She had attempted to warn him, that she had no legal athourity. She had attempted to warn him, she was only an employee, not an official (though he himself had stated they had 'government officials' surviving). She had attempted to warn him she was a young and junior agent, half her time undercover, with no idea how to handle massive public leadership and the reconstruction of a government. She had tried to get him to take control, then.

He had refused to help.

And when the first crimes had occured....She had attempted to get his help--to get the military's help. She had been refused all but the most cursory assistance, no matter how she asked....On the grounds that they were civilian ships, and civilian matters, and civilian criminals.

He had refused to help.

And now....Now, he finally did the things she had been asking him to do from the start....But he did them in a way that laid, in the public eye, all blame on her. He didn't mention she had asked him to do the things earlier. HE even went so far as to call her 'Acting President' in his speech--as if HE had never heard her denials of the position, either. He made no effort to make any indication to the press than she was being 'relieved' for inexperience. Instead....he had let it sound to them as if she were being relieved for incompetence. He had thrown her to the wolves, that first month, refusing her requests for him to take control. And now that he didn't like the way things had turned out--that she had warned him on, her inability to handle it all--he threw her to the wolves again, by letting it sound to the press as if he thought her grossly negligant through fault of her own.

She agreeded with martial law. She agreed with the "disbanding" of a government that she had been insisting since day one did not exist anymore in the first place. And she had said so, to the press. The press needed to hear support, for the Commander's measures. The people needed to hear support.

But now, in private....Now, she would tell him the rest. She would tell him how she agreeded with martial law. She would tell him how she had no quarrel with him for suspending her ahtourity and that of the CBI, and agreeded with that decision as well.

And....she would remind him.

She would remind him that she herself had been saying for months that she was not Acting President. She would point out that he had called her such in his speech, and ask if all her assertions the past few months had gone beneath his notice.

She would remind him, that she had asked him to take control for the very start....several times. And that he had refused.

She would remind him, that she had asked for the military's help, in matters of investigations and matters of security, before she had even thought to expand the CBI or recreate the Secret Service. And she would remind him that he had denied her requests for aid.

And finally...she would ask him why. She would ask him why he had phrased his speech the way he did, without the slightest indication given to the press and the public that he was doing what he did because she was inexpirenced. With indications, in fact, that he beleived she had been Acting President--instead of the indications that he was taking control because she never had been in the first place, legally. She would ask him why he had phrased his speech in such a way that it had likely finished her with the public....and with the new government, whenever they were created. After his speech, and how incompetent it made her sound, how power hungry....they would never trust her. They would never even trust her to be agent again, assuming the new government set up any such agencies. He had thrown her to the wolves, without so much as a softening blow--deflected all blame for recent events onto her shoulders.

And yes--She had screwed up recents events. She should never have let Masters handle something not in his jursidction. But she had no choice--the fleet had forced her into the leadership role she so continually denied....Rodrigues had forced her into it, so early on, making it clear he would not take it, and that the remainder of the government must.

He made no mention his own mistakes--His own mistakes that had led to her mistakes. Mistakes she had warned him would be made, if he forced her to take leadership.

Unity had to be maintained, within the fleet. She would back him till the end of his days, no matter what. But in private....In private, now, she would let him know what he had just done to her....And she would demand an apology. And she would demand he think back, and remember it all.

And she would request of him, that if the new government, once it was formed, refused to hire her in any capacity, due to his harsh implications of her competence, during the press conference....that he give her an opprotunity to put her skills to work, within the military.

She approached the guard at the door.

"I need to see Commander Rodrigues. And I need to see him now she said in a voice that was calm, but firm. Strangely....it was was her old voice had been, before the attacks. She felt more in control now, in a way, than she had since the Cylons had ended civilization as it was known. She felt confident. As confident as she had, back on the Colonies, as an agent. She felt in controlof herself once more, finally, now that he had finally taken control of the fleet. And he would hear what she had to say. She would not have it any other way.

Last edited by ViperChickKaliyla on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:17 pm 
Site Legal Eagle
SilverLantern wrote:

Gibbs nodded at Captain Inga Mueler, and they left the room.

Inga walked next to Don Gibbs as they left the area, her mind reeling from the turn of events. Martial law. Cylons that look human. Karl! Karl is in Palatine. I must get in touch with him! Oh my gods, was the woman who created the virus in Iasoan a CYLON?! Are there others like her? She turned to Captain Gibbs, "Don, please go on without me, there's something I must do. Aah, about getting clearance for the Demeter deliveries."

She turned back and got a hold of the first lieutenant of the fleet she found. Her voice was soft and firm, silk over steel, and it brooked no argument. "Lieutenant, I'm Capt. Mueller from the Demeter. I need to speak to whoever is in charge of security and approving shuttle flights. My ship delivers food to various ships in the fleet. And I have a sick child in Iasoan..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:30 pm 
Site Canon Cop
ViperChickKaliyla wrote:
["And in the meantime, while that work continues, I urge you all to remain calm. The fact is, the Commander's actions have been both wise and neccesary, and will serve to protect this fleet, until such time as a government is in place. Until then--I wish to echo his statements, earlier: The Cylon threat is not a matter to take into your own hands. If you suspect that someone you know is a biolon, do not, under any circumstances, attempt to take matters into your own hands. Report it to the proper athourtities aboard Libra. The chaos and violence in the fleet has to stop, and it has to stop now. We are the last of humanity, ladies and gentlemen. Remember that fact. Remember that paranoia and rash actions only serve to diminish that which remains. The military will see to the security of the fleet. The delegates will see to the creation of a new government. And as for the rest of you, ladies and gentlemen, listening to this boardcast....See to the future. Consider any actions carefully, in the context of the future....Not only your own future, but that of the human race. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen."]

2235, Day 84
Grandeur
"Blah, blah, blah, lady. You're fired." Gabriel Keramidas said to no one, but was heard by the crewmembers on the space park's bridge.

"So.. Captain.. will you be making another announcement on the public address?"

"Hmmm...? Oh. No, no I won't. No need to; Rodrigues and Gibbs said it all. Good night, everyone."

He left for his nearby private quarters, whistling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Diagrammer
The Hades Horn
D84 T2302
Shuttle Bay

Captain Duke Marshall had seen enough. At the worst possible time, his ship was down to the barest of security now since Mason had decided to conveniently “donate” most of their security force to the new government – which no longer existed.

“If it ever had at all,” Duke mumbled to himself as he watched a forklift move a load of boxes next to one of the Colonial shuttles. To make matters worse, he had extra workers from the Necromancer on board to help with the orders that had come in for steel sheet metal and other metals that could be melted down and re-formed into spare parts.

Taking care of his crew was tough enough… but the extra individuals on board were being shipped out as fast as he could get clearance for the shuttles to leave. It was difficult now, because those nasty two words that everyone had been bandying about since the day of the attack had now been publicly uttered: martial law.

Six of the eight people addicted to “Snow” had come forward and had been transferred to the Iasoan for rehab treatment and counseling. Frank Henderson and Joe Teske, however, were two of the nastiest on his crew and neither of them had the ability to sacrifice their ego for the sake of common sense and the safety of others. For that reason specifically, he was also sending them to Necromancer so that they could take lighter jobs and Mason’s heavier security force on that ship could keep them in line.

Marshall had decided to send them out tonight – on the last shuttle run to make sure that they were gone before the morning shift. He had called Mason and warned him that both were exhibiting signs of severe withdrawal… it was pretty tough out here in space to find new sources of their illegal narcotic. Duke doubted that there was any left in the fleet… certainly not enough to keep an addict satisfied for any length of time.

Cardelli had promised to have extra security and a doctor standing by, but the trick was to get both of the huge men to willingly go to the Necromancer. Neither came out of their quarters much any longer – they only showed up to work and in doing so it was obvious to just about everyone they were undergoing severe emotional stress as the withdrawal symptoms continued. Most were shrugging it off to their usually moody behavior but Marshall knew what to look for.

“Thompson, Teske, get over here…” he said briskly, watching them both flinch as they finished stacking some of the freshly made steel plating.

“Sir,” Teske said nervously. “We’re about to go off shift…”

“I know,” Marshall said briskly. “But shuttles are only allowed to go out sparingly now. That one over there,” he said with a wave, “is headed back to Necromancer to return some of their workers. I need you to load the cargo they’re taking with them and ride over to help the deckhands on the other ship. You can come back tomorrow on the first available shuttle.”

“Sir, we…”

Duke looked at Frank Henderson intently and the man paused in mid-sentence. “You two have been taking your time with your work anyway lately… do me a favor and take the cargo over for me, will you?”

“Sure Cap.”

Sadie Brant watched the Hades Horn miners load the cargo into the rear of the shuttle. At least two dozen passengers had also boarded, and there were a few stragglers had shown up and were waiting on the hangar floor until the large boxes were aboard. Once the work was completed, the two miners sat down in several empty seats.

Sadie was about to return to her pilot’s seat when she noticed four armed security guards enter the passenger area. All of them sat down near the rear of the shuttle at the door, and this struck her as odd. She had seen security ride along with critical cargo on other trips, but never more than two officers at a time.

Shaking her head she made sure that everything and everybody was securely harnessed and strapped down, then returned to her chair.

“Hang on everybody,” she said as the shuttle’s engines roared to life and the small vessel moved quickly out of the Horn’s hangar bay.

If there was any doubt in her mind that things had changed drastically in the fleet after the marshal law announcement they were erased from her mind as she counted the Raptors and Vipers in the air as they moved away from the larger ship. She wondered if Patrick was out there somewhere, flying around and keeping careful watch on the civilian ships.

One of the Mark VIIs pulled alongside and its pilot waved at her as he flew escort for them. She didn’t know whether to feel honored, or simply afraid of what would happen next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:58 pm 
Site Gunslinger
[With Eaglestar51]

Day 84 Time 2241
Battlestar Libra
Major Scott Duncan

He was back on the Libra. And Colonel Cole was here somewhere. What now? Duncan wondered, looking for the Colonel. Is he going to fire my ass? Throw me in the brig? He sighed. Not that I don’t deserve it…

In the end, though, Duncan couldn’t find him, and no one he asked knew which quarters he was in. He’d have to wait until the next morning, when the admin people were on duty in the MarDet office.

On his way back to his own temporary quarters there on the Libra, he passed by the pilot’s lounge, and stuck his head in on the off-chance that Cole would be in there. Cole wasn’t, but Lt Cradic saw Duncan and called, “Major Duncan—hey, Major, come join us, play some cards.”

Cradic had piloted the Raptor that had taken Duncan to the Palatine at the beginning of the convention; they hadn’t done much more than exchange names. But Duncan was in no mood to go sit in his empty quarters and not sleep. Beer. I’ll just have a couple beers.

So he nodded and went and sat at the table with the pilots. “Scott Duncan, Perseus,” he told those at the table.

Before any of the others could even start to introduce themselves, a lieutenant came to the hatch of the lounge. “Major Duncan?” she said. “Sorry to interrupt you when you’re off duty… Captain Mueller needs to talk to someone about shuttle movement and security.”

“No problem, Lieutenant,” Duncan got up and went to follow her. I’m probably the highest ranking person you could find at this time of the night, anyway. Captain Mueller… Dr Karl Mueller’s wife. Hmm.

Duncan went into the small conference room next to where the press conference had taken place. “Captain Mueller, I’m Major Duncan. What can I do for you?”

Major Duncan? Xenthais's 'friend' from Perseus? She examined him surreptitiously as she extended her arm in greeting. "Pleased to meet you, Major. As I mentioned to the young lieutenant, my ship, the Demeter, needs shuttle clearance for deliveries of foodstuffs to some of the ships. I will send you the delivery schedule as soon as I'm back on my ship. Also, my eldest daughter is sick at the Iasoan, and I will need clearance to go there. But mostly I want to talk to you about biocylons. About a woman, now dead, who I suspect may have been one."

Well the Professor certainly got a prize… the sly dog, I wouldn’t have thought it of him, Duncan concealed his amusement; and then he remembered how Else Mueller had called Xen “aunt”, and he wondered about the relationship. The reminder of Xen immediately replaced his amusement with remorse, but he pushed the feelings down and replied, “I’m sure there won’t be any problem getting you clearance for your deliveries, and to visit your daughter. I’ll coordinate with CIC, you can send your delivery schedule there.”

He paused and said more slowly, “What woman are you speaking of?”

"A doctor Persis Long." Her voice turned hard. "She... engineered a virus. A deadly one. Some people died, she among them. I almost lost my daughter to it... It was designed to kill, Major. The only logical explanation is that that... monster... was a cylon, one of those human-like ones. I just want to make sure you knew about it."

Duncan’s expression got grim, although he tried to hide it. Classified, but I’ll be frakked if I don’t tell her something. “Yes, Captain. We are aware that Persis Long was a biological.” And Captain Mueller’s husband and daughter are on the Palatine. Frak! “I’ve been on the Palatine… all of us who know what the biological cylons look like have been there, screening the delegates and others who are at the convention. As far as we know…” Frak, I don’t know if this is reassuring or not… “…there are no cylons at the convention. We have security people there. Thank you for being alert to this. I’d ask that you keep this confidential. I know there will be questions, but until Commander Rodrigues gives us more guidance, I can’t really say anything more.”

She gave him a hint of a smile. "Thank you, Major. But we don't really know, do we? If there are cylons there? That... Uriel thing said there were 12 models. How many have we identified? No," she raised her hand to stop him, "no need to tell me. That's classified. But my guess is it's nowhere near 12... Xen... Major Merconi brought Else back to Demeter, but Karl is still there..." She sighed. "I won't hold you any longer, Major. I would appreciate the clearance for my shuttles. And maybe you could distribute pictures of the cylons we know, just in case there are any more hiding in the fleet..."

“I’m sure the Commander is taking action, sir,” Duncan replied. “If you need anything else, you can contact me, Major Riley, Captain Dedrick, or Gunnery Sergeant Razorski.” He shook her hand again, then headed for CIC.

Dedrick was on duty in CIC, so Duncan gave him the run-down on what Captain Mueller had said.

“Others are going to be able to put some pieces together, also, Major,” Dedrick said evenly.

Duncan nodded agreement. “The sooner Commander Rodrigues gives us some guidance, the better.”

“I’ll make sure that Captain Mueller gets clearance for those deliveries, and for the Iasoan,” Dedrick said.

“Thanks, Captain,” Duncan nodded, and left the CIC. He paused, then with a shrug, headed back to the pilot's lounge, and the card game.

Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper, about budget cuts for the US’s intelligence agencies: "We're not going to do more with less and all these other clichés. . . . We will just simply have less capability."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:13 pm 
Site Diagrammer
Cylon Resurrection Ship
Date & Time Unknown
End Of The Line

Previously on Battlestar Libra…

Quote:
“I know…” Joshua said with a hysterical chuckle. “Humanity has gone through a lot of growing pains, but we matured over time and formed a pretty darn good society in the past forty years.” His laughter filled the room. “And in one day you perfectly programmed idiots made the decision that we were flawed and mercilessly killed more people than we have in our entire bloody history, and you have the right to say that we’re the flawed race. I don’t know what gods you pray to, but may they have mercy on your souls…” He continued giggling. "Look up mercy in the dictionary... definitions of that word and others are the only way you'll ever experience morality unless you learn it from we flawed humans."

It took him a few minutes as she beat him and tossed him violently around the room, but Joshua Nordstrom did finally black out.

Six watched him carefully as Nordstrom lay there, beaten and bloody. “I have no further use for you,” she practically spat at him. “You can’t get me pregnant, and you certainly don’t love me.”

“That’s what you don’t understand,” Josh said weakly, laying bruised and battered on the floor of his cell. “That’s what you can’t comprehend… love goes both ways – you have to be capable of it too, otherwise a relationship between the two of us can never truly exist.”

He heard the hard metal footsteps of the Centurions as they appeared in the doorway, followed by the loud whirring of their single red eyes moving ominously back and forth. One of them dragged him to his feet and held him upright while Six leaned in close to him. “If you can't get copies of me pregnant then you're worthless to us,” she told him coldly. “Beg me to spare your life…”

“Not a chance,” Joshua said, blood running from a cut in his lip. “I am a Colonial warrior and you are my enemy in an armed conflict that you started. You killed my people… the day I ally myself with you will be my last.”

“This is your last day,” she said ominously.

“So be it,” Joshua said with his chin held high. “I hope you got what you were looking for with all your poking and prodding… because I will never consciously help you in any way.”

She hated it… the smile on his face that she could not break no matter what she did to him. Hitting him more would only cause him to lose consciousness again – he had a soldier’s willpower and he simply refused to give in. The rage showed plainly on her face and Joshua started laughing again, his hysterical giggles sounding truly odd as it echoed off the room’s bare walls amongst the sinister Centurions standing next to him.

"See," he said between fits of uncontrolled laughter. "I can make you angry whenever I want to... and there's nothing you can do about it."

He was still smiling that way, grinning in triumph when the Cylons blew him out the nearest airlock. His body flew backwards out into space, tumbling end over end.

Last edited by SonOfTed on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:36 am 
Site Diagrammer
T2317

Sadie watched the Mark VII head off in search of more civilian ship activity as they arrived at the Necromancer. She carefully angled the shuttle toward the larger ship’s hangar bay and made a smooth landing next to the other ships already parked there. Their forward momentum drained away as the landing skids touched down and she nodded with satisfaction. Another successful mission!

Henderson and Teske warily kept watch over the armed guards on board through the entire flight. They had helped move cargo before and were startled to see so much security on this trip. Both of them kept glancing at each other.

There could be biolons on board! Henderson thought to himself. Or worse, they’ve discovered that Joe and I are using Snow!

He felt that the last thought was more likely, and so – when the passengers all stood to leave – he quickly clubbed one of the guards from behind and took his sidearm. No one realized at first what was going on, until Henderson shot one of the other three guards. Joe reacted instantly, smashing a third guard into the side of the shuttle’s hull while removing his gun.

It was a split decision thing, but both of them were panicked, strung out, and desperate. The fourth guard held up his hands as both Henderson and Teske covered him. Gasps of shock and surprise from the passengers filled the shuttle’s interior, and chaos would have ensued if Frank hadn’t immediately turned toward the front of the shuttle and snarled.

“Everybody just stay right where you are… no one is going anywhere just yet…”

He knew it wouldn't take long before word got out that he and Teske had control of the shuttle. That was what drove the fleet these days, after all - gossip and rumor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 am 
Site Boss
ViperChickKaliyla wrote:

"I need to see Commander Rodrigues. And I need to see him now she said in a voice that was calm, but firm. Strangely....it was was her old voice had been, before the attacks. She felt more in control now, in a way, than she had since the Cylons had ended civilization as it was known. She felt confident. As confident as she had, back on the Colonies, as an agent. She felt in controlof herself once more, finally, now that he had finally taken control of the fleet. And he would hear what she had to say. She would not have it any other way.

2320 hrs
Libra Commander's Stateroom

Rodrigues placed a cup of coffee on the table in front of Liza. He sat down across from her and took a small drink from his own mug.

"What can I do for you Miss Liala?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Spook
Quote:
2320 hrs
Libra Commander's Stateroom

Rodrigues placed a cup of coffee on the table in front of Liza. He sat down across from her and took a small drink from his own mug.

"What can I do for you Miss Liala?"

"First of all Commander....Since you had exited the room by that time, I thought I should informed you that after your departure, I made a statement to the press, and the fleet."

He simply stayed silent, as if waiting for her to continue.

"In that statement, I came out in public support of your decision to place the fleet under martial law, and did my best to reinforce your athourity. I also reminded them that you stated you will rescind such measures when an effective new government is in place, and also urged people to be calm, consider their actions carefully, and to not take the law into their own hands. I also attempted to calm any anger that may occur in the fleet, over the dissolution of the government, by reminding people--for what has to be about the millionth time--that there never really was a government to begin with, and that if they want one eventually, they should redouble their efforts at the convention, and work towards holding elections."

"I also want you to know that I meant all of it. I am in complete support of the declaration of martial law, and all other measures which you stated to the press. However....."

She paused, then continued, in a tone just as calm.

"....I feel you should also know there are several things which you did which I am not in support of, sir. Things which I did not, nor shall I ever, mention to the press. Publically, I will back you to the end, sir. But here...and now..I require some answers...or at least, your ear."

Still, he said nothing, and she spoke again.

"The reason I support the measures you have taken here today, sir....is that they are the measures which I have desired from the start. The first time the two of us met....the meeting, on Libra. I was in support of you taking control of the fleet. I asked you to take control of the fleet. You told me no. Said you would not. You were quite plain that the survivors of the prior government should take such control, while we worked towards elections. I warned you I wasn't ready. I warned you I wasn't qualified. You knew who I was, and you knew how young I was. You knew what I was. I tried to get you to take control, and I tried to warn you I wasn't ready to take it. On both points, you turned a deaf ear."

"Later, I asked for assistence, in investigating criminal actions within the fleet, and in responding to them, and to other threats to fleet security on board civilian vessels. I was refused all but the most brief and limited of assistence--a couple of marines for a couple of hours...Once. I was refused anything more, or anything again."

"The fact is, sir, I was aware from Day Zero that I had no legal standing to lead this fleet--nor any desire to do so. And lest you have forgotten, at every turn, every press conference, every meeting--I have attempted to remind people that I am not in charge. I have attempted to remind them that I was not, nor could I ever be, "Acting President". But the fact is, Commander, that the people of the fleet didn't hear me, and didn't care, no matter how many times I said it. And frankly, from the way you phrased things during your press conference, it seems you had forgotten that fact--forgotten all my denials--as well."

"As for the agencies you disbanded....As I said....I requested you assistence, early on, before I ever even considered hiring new CBI agents, or attempting to ressurect the Secret Service, and the Colonial Police. Did I make mistakes, in doing so? Of course I did. I warned you I would make mistakes, if forced to take control. And I warned you I needed help. I was given none. What other choice did I have, when you refused me assistence, than to attempt to create bodies--bodies which were always meant, by the way, to be dissolved upon the eve of elections--to secure law and secuirty throughout the fleet? Crimes were being committed. Heads of coorperations--CEO's, not captains--were taking the law into their own hands, and locking people from other ships up on their ships! People were livid. The press was in a frenzy. The fleet was--especially after the food riots--on the brink of civil war and general chaos.....and they all wanted my head. My head, sir. Not yours."

"I had to do something. And since you wouldn't assist me...I did. And as for the security of the delegates....I had to do something, as well. You were--understandably, given your own needs and limited personnel--only able to loan me a couple of marines, for security. I had to do something, to ensure the security of the rest. As for the murder....Did I make a mistake, not stopping Masters from investigating? Not demanding that the investigation of a murder fell under my purview? Of course I did. I should have taken that investigation from the day it happened! But the fact is...I was overwhelmed, sir. I had been forced to play head of government, despite my denials that I was not. And I had been forced to play presiding official of the convention. And I had been forced to play Director of my agency, when people--yourself included--decided to pretend that there was still a government in place."

"And frankly, sir...there is one part of your speech to the press I have a problem with. That being the part where you, quite frankly, threw me to the wolves. You told the fleet you were "terminating my athourity as Acting President"....and that you were disband "Ms. Liala's agencies". You made it sound, sir, as if I were being relieved for incompetence.....without one inkling given, sir, that I was being relieved for inexpirence, that I was being relieved because I never should have had to do any of it in the first place. You sounded yourself as if you had bought into the fleet's insistence that I had been 'Acting President'--and made no attempt to mention to the press that I never had been. The way you phrased that, and everything else, made it sound pretty clearly to the press as if you blamed me--and and as if you thought the fleet should blame me, as well. And did I make mistakes? Of course I did, sir, as I have admitted."

"But the first mistakes, Commander, were yours. The mistake of forcing me to take leadership. The mistake of turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to my warnings that I wasn't qualified for such a post--that it would end in chaos, as it has. The warnings that I needed help. The requests for aid, the requests for help maintaing law and order within the fleet, the requests for help leading the fleet. All....on deaf ears, and refusals. The many times I insisted to the fleet as a whole that I was not in charge....and you seemed to be among those who believed I should be, no matter how many times I said differently. I told you, at the beginning of this all, at the end of the world....To do exactly as you have now, until a new government could be formed. You refused. I told you, I was not qualified to be in charge. You refused. I told you, I needed assistence within the fleet. You...refused. And now, you make statements to the press that have most likely, in their phrasing, ended my career forever."

"Do I care, that you ended my athoruity as presiding official of the convention? Frak no, in fact, for that I'm about ready to kiss you on the cheek. Do I care, that you ended the fleet's perception of me as 'Acting President'? Hell no, I'm grateful beyond measure...though I wish that you could have made a statement that made it clear you remembered that I have continually denied being so, or wanting such. Do I care, that you dissolved my agency, cost my my post as Acting Director? Not at all. I never wanted to be Acting Director, and knew I didn't have much claim to that either...but again, people forced me into it. I knew the government was gone from Day Zero--Hell I heard many of them die, Commander, over my transmitter. For all of the above, I not only do not care...I am grateful. But the way in which you did it, and the way in which you phrased it....What you said, what you did not say and how you said it, Commander. That has probably just ended my chances of anything, ever again."

"Ended my chances that the new government, if and when it is formed, and if and when it forms any civilian agency with the purview of law enforcement and or intelligence, would hire me, in any capacity. Ended my chances to ever be an agent again, or to ever be much of anything else, within my field. You used me, Commander. You weren't ready to take control on Day Zero, so you made me, despite my warnings. And now that it all fell to pieces, as I warned...You blame me, in the press....Or at the very least, say nothing to stop everyone from laying every bit of blame on me. You have left me without a purpose....and if it were merely temporary, I would have no problems at all, seeing as though I requested such on Day One. But you have probably done it forever. They'll never trust me again, with yours words to the press, to be anything more complicated than a window washer."

She took a few deep breaths, and it was clear that this was the part of things that affected her the most.

"None of that will ever be repeated to the press, or in any public setting. As I said....I support your actions, in the declaration of martial law, and all the other measures you stated during the press conference. And I will back you, all the way. But for what you just did to me sir....I would like an explanation. And for what you did to me before--When you refused to take control, and refused to aid me, and refused to take all the measures you have taken now, no matter how much I asked, no matter how much I warned.....I would like an apology. And if it turns out, sir, that your words have doomed me....that the new government, when it is formed, refuses to hire me for any post....then I would like a job. I'm sure I have many skills the military could make use of, if no one else will have me."

She paused, and let him digest all she had just said.

"I don't know how much you know about me, sir....But like, I suspect, you...I have spent a lifetime serving the Colonies, in my own way. I was, counting my training period, CBI from the time I was 21. I won't bother to discuss my assignments, and I won't bother to spell out anything as to my time undercover, or to any of my other duties, because I suspect you can probably figure most of that out. For my entire adult life, sir, I had a purpose. Now....I am faced with the prospect of, potentially, never having one again. And if that is the case, sir....then I might as well have died on the Colonies. Because a life without a purpose isn't a life. Not for people like you....and not for people like me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:19 pm 
Site Legal Eagle
GoldWolf wrote:

Day 84 Time 2241
Battlestar Libra

“I’m sure the Commander is taking action, sir,” Duncan replied. “If you need anything else, you can contact me, Major Riley, Captain Dedrick, or Gunnery Sergeant Razorski.” He shook her hand again, then headed for CIC.

Dedrick was on duty in CIC, so Duncan gave him the run-down on what Captain Mueller had said.

As she walked to her shuttle, Inga thought back to her conversation with Major Duncan... and wondered about his 'friendship' with Xenthais. There was something about him... He was handsome, but in a rugged, outdoorsy way, when Xen had always preferred the suave, debonnaire type. Like Owen. And he seemed... dangerous.

But Xen had changed; sometimes Inga wondered what had happened to the funny, carefree yet caring girl she had befriended so many years ago... But she had to admit to herself that even then Xen had sometimes had a haunted look to her...

She mentally shook herself - she was just being fanciful: Major Duncan and Xenthais were just crewmates, and the only demons pursuing any of them were of the cylon type.

She boarded her shuttle and flew back to Demeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:29 pm 
Site Diagrammer
T2321

The deckhand dove out of the way as the hatch to the shuttle opened and he saw Joe Teske pointing a gun at him.

"What the frak is going on?" he shouted angrily.

"We've got hostages here, and we're going to shoot them all if everyone on this ship doesn't do exactly what we say!" Henderson shouted back at him. He waved the gun menacingly for good measure.

Next to him, Joe looked pale and scared... both his hands held a gun and both were shaking violently. "What are we doing?" he asked. "What in gods name are we doing?"

Frank just stared back at him grimly. "We're gonna get us some 'Snow'," he replied. "And a shuttle ride out of this fleet to a planet of our own."

Joe looked at him quizzically. "Andy and all the others came forward," he said insistently... "so why don't we? They got doctors that can help us with this kind of thing."

Both of them looked at the guard lying on his back with blood running out of his chest in great surges. "It's too late for that," Frank decided. "We've already gone past the point of no return."

The deckhand made his way away from the shuttle, taking care to keep out of the line of fire as he did so. He waved at every armed security guard that he could find and pointed them toward the shuttle. Most of them ignored him and were already on their way... they had already heard the gunshot.

"Captain Staider... Mr. Ekkers... one of you get on the horn to Libra," the deckhand said into one of the wall phones. "We've got at least one out of control miner down here holding people on Brant's shuttle... and he says he's gonna kill them if he doesn't get what he wants."

["Captain Staider... Mr. Ekkers... one of you get on the horn to Libra,"] the voice crackled over the conference line on the Necromancer bridge. ["We've got at least one out of control miner down here holding people on Brant's shuttle... and he says he's gonna kill them if he doesn't get what he wants."]

Shannon glanced over to Ekkers. "You coordinate security down there until we can get a marine unit aboard," she told him, "and I'll call Commander Rodrigues."

Last edited by SonOfTed on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next