It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts and a new direction?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 am 
To make a long story short, had several people reccomend that I return to writing. After many failed attempts and many starts to various plots. I have decided to start Anew once again.

The reason for this is about the time I stopped most of my writing, my entire remaining family died. One was due to a motorcycle accident, and another was my own mother due to age. I have dealt with lost internet connections, being basically homeless for small periods of time, moving from apartment to apartment and dealt with the loss of my own house and 2 break ins before I moved out.

I do not know if anyone has considered this, but one thing that has stuck with me was a continuation of BSG if the Galacticas flag had been transferred to the Rebel Basestar instead of Galactica finding earth.

Two possible outcomes of this are... 1. (The Galactica never discovering earth) or 2. (the galactica discoverig earth, but deciding to continue on after a fifth of the fleet refuses to give up their technology.) Does anyone have another logical reason that would fit cannon that would make sense for Adamas flag to be transferred to the Baseship?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts and a new direction?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:58 am 
Site CyberBiker
That's a tough question, Admiral. As a writer, though, I think we have to embrace the idea that there is always a way to take our stories in the direction we want, sometimes you just have to work a bit harder at coming up with the justification.

When the Libra writers talk about Earth, we have settled upon two monikers that help us keep straight which one we are discussing. "Scorched Earth" (or "Black Earth") is how we refer to the planet that was the home of the Thirteenth Tribe and the point from which the Final Five launched their sublight ship toward the Twelve Colonies. "Green Earth" is our name for the virgin planet upon which William Adama and the remains of the ragtag fleet settled at the end of the BSG series.

One simple way to achieve what you are suggesting is to pick a point before Green Earth is discovered and take your story "AU" from there. Green Earth is never found and so the fleet doesn't stop to settle there. Galactica is failing and must be abandoned, so the decision is made to transfer the Admiral's flag to another military vessel, the baseship. To be realistic, I think you would need to deal with a lot of negative issues among the members of the fleet as they are forced to continue with little hope of finding a home. Perhaps even show an encounter with a marginally habitable world and have some of the ships defect and remain there.

My point is that if you want the fleet to go on, it can - you just need to provide a justification that you yourself can accept for this to happen. Both of your suggestions would work - the "deciding to continue on after a fifth of the fleet refuses to give up their technology" angle is interesting, too. In that case I would continue the story by following that fifth of the fleet as they continue onward. If you really want Adama to go one, allow Roslyn to die as she did in the series but have Adama reconsider his future after her death, and decide that his responsibility lies with those people who won't stop.

Don't limit yourself by thinking "Nah, he'd never do that" or "He'd never let that happen". Almost any course of action can be rationalized. Write the story you want.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts and a new direction?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm 
Site Boss
I would say, if you have an idea that you feel you can take forward then by all means go for it. I would be interested to see what you have planned.