It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Libra Origins: Reader Comments
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Gunslinger
Please feel free to post your comments about Libra Origins: The Deimos Incident here!

Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper, about budget cuts for the US’s intelligence agencies: "We're not going to do more with less and all these other clichés. . . . We will just simply have less capability."

Post subject: Re: Libra Origins: Reader Comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:40 pm 
Site Headhunter
Loved it!!! Can't wait to see more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 am 
Site CyberBiker
Thank you, John!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm 
Sooooo, this story was started over a YEAR ago and I never read it??? Wow. I know I've seen "Deimos Incident" in some of the author footers, but didn't read until now. I just got through page 1 - so far so good! Really nice backstory. Same quality of writing as Libra. Here are my thoughts on Page 1: Eaglestar: nice to see your writing! Haven't seen you post in awhile. Although I just looked and your posting is dated June 11, 2011. Hope you're still involved. I think you're the first to post about Taurian Titan in this story. As the son of an engineer, I'm really looking forward to reading more about her. I liked learning more about the intricacies of clan life. Where was the inspiration from? I'm guessing gypsy/bedouin and maybe some middle eastern culture? The attack on the waterlord camp was chilling. LOVED the line "The ghosts move among the tents and makeshift buildings, silently delivering death at every turn." RL: that was some beautiful, yet terrifying writing! Were you in a darkened room in an ornery mood? Armed with a glass of medicinal strength brandy, listening to some Pink Floyd, and writing that scene between filing your tax return? :mrgreen: GW: great follow up to RL's post. The first couple of sentences really set the mood "The wind was a solid, living being. It carried mother desert in its arms, consumed everything in its path, moved mountains, carved rock.". Overall, great start to the story!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Gunslinger
Thanks, ManilaIce!

We're posting this story in a bit of a different format than the Libra main story; we're writing an entire episode, and then posting it all at once. I'm not sure if this is the best way to get the word out to our readers, though, but we thought we'd give it a try. Your feedback on doing it this way would be appreciated!

Unfortunately, Eagle's Real Life issues have kept her from writing for some time now, and I'm not sure if we'll ever see her posting as consistently as she used to.

As Deimos progresses, we plan on filling in a lot of the blanks from the early days of the war, and giving more background on characters that are still alive "today".

Thanks for reading!

Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper, about budget cuts for the US’s intelligence agencies: "We're not going to do more with less and all these other clichés. . . . We will just simply have less capability."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:25 am 
Site CyberBiker
ManilaIce wrote:
The attack on the waterlord camp was chilling. LOVED the line "The ghosts move among the tents and makeshift buildings, silently delivering death at every turn." RL: that was some beautiful, yet terrifying writing! Were you in a darkened room in an ornery mood? Armed with a glass of medicinal strength brandy, listening to some Pink Floyd, and writing that scene between filing your tax return? :mrgreen:

The attack scene was actually written in 2007 and appeared in the Libra episode "Retribution". It's always been a favorite (if I can say that without seeming conceited). As to the inspiration, while I enjoy Pink Floyd, I'm much more likely to listen to something with few or no lyrics, such as Joe Satriani.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:49 pm 
Libra Superfan
Libra Superfan
Another great set of additions to the Origins storyline. Can't wait to see what happens next....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm 
Libra Superfan
Libra Superfan
More great additions to the storyline. Can't wait to see how things progress next.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:40 pm 
Site Diagrammer
I must say, this backstory is quite impressive (to say the least)! :D

The original concepts we came up with for "Acceptable Risk" and "The Enemy of My Enemy" were fairly generic, but it was quite clear that something pretty freaking Frankenstein-ish was taking place on the Satyr.

Then we have the discovery of the Chiron's secrets that showed up later in Libra chapters after my departure... an interesting storyline. Cool to see people walking around on the Chiron and KNOWING that it's special. (Sidebar: The Chiron actually became the Pathfinder in my rewritten Amazon story. I always liked the hammerhead at the front of it and just added wings to the back...)

The presence of Rattler and his disavowed on Colonial ships would have freaked me out. I can just imagine what the military is thinking about that one.

Then there is my good friend Jack Mayer, whose ego knows no bounds, and written perfectly to boot.

I also enjoyed the dinner scene with Dr. Maxwell and Ditaan... particularly the way Maxwell's ego and fondness for alcohol made him susceptible to bragging a little too much. He really wanted to make a name for himself with those stolen secrets, back before he went completely bat**** crazy!

My characters, though their involvement at this point was minimal, are really written well. I think it points a giant arrow at Mayer and explains why - in his own mind - he ended up doing what he did. He had a workable technology at his disposal to elude the Cylons and all he needed was a few basic resources. When he ran across the Libra fleet, his head must have exploded at the opportunity that sheer chance handed to him. His big mistake was thinking that he could pull it off all by himself without cooperating with anybody else. Too. much. ego.

Also, I don't want to hear any more talk about the Galactica and its officers being a bunch of troublemakers, misfits and screw ups.

That WHOLE culture was like that on the 12 colonies, and your corrupt characters and freaky priorities PROVE it! :shock:

This backstory was a really good idea!! :!: :!:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Gunslinger
Thanks, Todd! It's great to see you here and I'm happy that you're having such great writing success!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
Site Raider
Alright, I just finished episode 1 and it's GREAT! I was especially fascinated by your description of the cylon attacks and their aftermath...felt like I was back watching "Razor" for the first time again. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Gunslinger
Thanks, Stefan! I thought you might be interested in your Belle's "history"!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:48 pm 
Libra Superfan
Libra Superfan
More great additions to your story. I cannot wait to see what happens next with them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:37 pm 
Libra Superfan
Libra Superfan
That was a bit different with Col. Bisby. I remember him having a temper and a dislike for all the Nomads. Is he a bit more on edge than at first appearances? It is starting to seem so to me at least. It is another great addition to the story. I am gonna wait an see what he does next before I know what is going on in Col. Bisby's head.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site CyberBiker
Bisby is a tough character to write, for several reasons. He's very different from my own disposition, so it is hard for me to "get inside his head". We have to balance his position as an officer and commander with some personal characteristics that don't fit well with those roles. And we have to roll that all into a character whose actions were established a long time ago by things written within the Battlestar Libra story, and arrive now within TDI at those times with Bisby taking those actions and have it all be believable to you and your fellow readers.

What I was shooting for with that post was to show Bisby assuming command of the remaining Colonial Fleet ships (essentially writing off Cain, Adama and everyone else), and illustrating his attention to detail and protocol (he sends a copy of his orders to Jormung for relay to Fleet HQ, even though we all know HQ has been destroyed by the cylons). At the same time, the manner in which he treats the junior officer, Davisson, was meant to be typical of his gruff and disdainful manner.